Thursday, March 4, 2010

Guinness Ice Cream

I confess, Guinness is one of my favorite beers. I know, there are plenty of other great stouts out there, but Guinness is my go-to favorite. I prefer the milder flavor of Irish stouts over more bitter imperials. Also I met my husband over a Guinness. And, Guinness brings back hilarious and fun memories of two crazy trips to Ireland. So I love Guinness, and I'm not apologizing for it.

But what do you do when you have one lonely bottle of it left in the fridge? It's not enough to drink (I go through Guinness like water...delicious, life-giving water), but you obviously can't throw it out.

That's the dilemma I faced this afternoon. Some would say, "go buy more Guinness," but I just stocked the fridge with a bunch of new stuff, and I'm just not in the mood for another trip to BevMo today. So, I hit the internet and found myself a recipe for Guinness Ice Cream. OhmyGodIcan'twait.

I adapted the recipe from here.

Ingredients:
1 bottle Guinness Draught
1 cup whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup sugar
3 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons molasses

Directions:
Simmer Guinness until slightly reduced*. Whisk together egg yolks and sugar, add milk. Slowly add warm Guinness a few tablespoons at a time, while rapidly whisking the milk, egg and sugar mixture. Once about half of the Guinness is incorporated, you can stir the rest in a little faster. Add molasses and heavy cream.

Chill in fridge, then process according to the instructions on your ice cream maker. Once set, pour into an airtight container and chill in freezer for several hours.


Right now, mine is waiting in the fridge. The full mixture is over four cups, and my ice cream maker is only 1.5 quart capacity, so I might have to split it into 2 batches.

*Note that the original recipe called for one and a half cans of Guinness, reduced to 1 and a half cups. Since I only had one bottle on hand, I just reduced it less. We'll see if this has any implications on the flavor or the freezing process.  

0 comments: