Thursday, April 1, 2010

WTF

You knew this was coming if you read my post yesterday. Lagunita's limited release Wilco Tango Foxtrot is one that you're going to want to get your hands on.

We'll ignore the mildly annoying name. I won't talk about the fact that it should have been called Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Or that Wilco, while the name of an awesome band, stands for "Will Comply" in military voice procedure, not for the letter W. No, I won't talk about that. Because the truth is, the name made me chuckle, and was probably 60% responsible for my decision to purchase the beer. The other 40% of the decision was made easy by the fact that I greatly enjoy Lagunitas's products and have a lot of confidence in the quality of their beers.

Anyway. Here are my thoughts:

Appearance - A nice, clear brown with orange highlights. The head is thick and ivory, and sticks around for a little long while.

Aroma - The hops will knock you over. I'm expecting a flavor very similar to their IPA based on the scent. The weakness of my sense of smell paired with the strength of the hops leaves any other aromas undetectable for me.

Flavor - Surprisingly, not as much like the IPA as I expected. It doesn't have nearly the same bite or aftertaste. It's bitter at the front, but finishes with some malt and chocolate.

Mouth feel - Despite the fact that the head is still going strong, it doesn't taste overly-carbonated. In fact, it's very smooth--almost oily--on the tongue.

Drinkability - I shared the 22 oz bottle with my husband. Now I'm eyeing his glass and wondering if he'd notice if I took it (he would). I could easily polish the full big bottle on my own, but probably wouldn't be interested in more than that in one sitting.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds interesting. My wife is huge Lagunitas fan. My favorite is probably the Hops Stoopid (love the name). I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.

Christy said...

I had the Hop Stoopid for the first time yesterday and loved it. We'll be stocking up on that one for sure.