Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Stone Ruination IPA

This is one of the three I bought last week while I waited for the smog check to get done on my car. I drank it Sunday night while I was boiling my homebrew Stout. I chose it because the bottle said it was unbelievably hoppy (100+ IBUs!!!), and man, they were right. I'm not entirely convinced that's a good thing, though.

My thoughts:

Appearance - It's orange/amber, and quite cloudy. The head is less than a finger, and it dissapates quickly.

Aroma - It smells like hop pellets right out of the package, and I should know because I had a fresh package of hops to compare it to. There's some citrus buried in there, but it's not evident at first.

Flavor - How do I say this without incriminating myself? This sh*t tastes like marijuana. My excuses for knowing this are A) I was an RA in college and busted my fair share of potheads and B) living in California where it's practically legal anyway, I've befriended my fair share of people with medicinal marijuana licenses. But seriously, the hops are just overpowering. And I love hops, so if I'm telling you it's too much, it's too much. I couldn't pick any other flavors out. Hey, I'm new at this. And they brag right on the bottle that this beer will destroy your palette.

Mouthfeel - It burns. I will say there's more carbonation that I expected.

Drinkability - This is not a session beer. I find myself craving meat and potatoes while I drink it, and I think it would be delicious with a nice heavy meal. I split a 22 oz bottle with my husband, and that's enough for me.




So I realize this all sounds kind of negative. This isn't a bad beer, and I'm sure people who really, really love hops will enjoy it. My husband thought it was great. It's just the kind of beer that there's a time and a place for. I'd definitely drink it again, though I doubt it will ever be the first bottle I reach for on a lazy Sunday evening.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with your assessment. I found the aromas and flavors of this beer to be intensely bitter (I prefer the regular Stone IPA to this one if just having a beer). The Ruination definitely would be appropriate for certain food pairings though (spicy food comes to mind, like Thai). There was another beer I had recently that reminded me of marijuana (in aroma), but the name escapes me at the moment. Nice write-up!