Sunday, April 4, 2010

Blasphemy Easter Stout

That's what I'm calling my latest homebrew. I'm using the Dry Irish Stout kit from Northern Brewer, and I must say, I'm really looking forward to tasting this one.

A few things of note:
- While my previous two brews smelled strongly of cereal early in the process, the Irish Stout had an extremely mild aroma. The specialty grains had a nice dark roasted coffee smell to them, but once they went into the boil it all but disappeared. The malt syrup had the overpoweringly sweet aroma that I've come to expect from brew day.

- Like the cream ale, this recipe only involved 1 hop addition. I suppose this is not particularly surprising, since Irish Stouts aren't generally known for their hoppy aroma.

- I had a slight boilover before I added the malt. My husband and I got sucked into Life on the the Discovery Channel, and I may have lost track of time.

- It took a long time to bring the wort back to a boil after the malt was added. I tried to wait for the hot break before I added the hops, but I got a little impatient.

- I was much more patient with the cold break and the pitching of the yeast. Once the 60 minute boil was done, it took about 15 minutes to get the wort down to 95 degrees. It's now hovering around 80, and I'm giving it another 30 minutes or so before I pitch the yeast.

- Speaking of yeast, this will be my first brew with zero yeast malfunctions (I hope). I popped the inner pouch on my WYeast smack pack at about 4:30, and it's now gorgeously inflated. I suppose there's still time for error. We'll see how long it takes to get fermentation going.

- OG is 1.046, which is only marginally higher than the 1.042 that Northern Brewer tells me to expect.

0 comments: