Friday, February 19, 2010

Adventures in Home Brew-ery

I used to joke that what I really wanted to be was a brewmaster. When I quit my job and moved across the country with my wonderful husband, he decided I should follow my dreams. I'm not the best housewife. I mean the house is marginally clean, the laundry gets done, and we manage 2 square meals a day (who likes breakfast anyway?). But I'm not the 1950s type who greets him at the door in heels and pearls every evening, with from-scratch cupcakes baking in the oven.

So, for Christmas, he got me a complete home brew setup. My friends, my parents--and probably even my husband--thought this was a typical "get her the gift you really wanted" kind of Christmas. But it was not. I was, and still am, so excited to be making my own beer. Even though my first batch is bound to be a disaster of epic proportions (more about that in a later post), and even though I will likely have a lot more disasters before I come anywhere close to success, I am having so much fun with this.

It's kindof like getting a chemistry set when you're eight. Except instead of poisoning yourself and/or burning your fingers with acid, you just get drunk (and possibly go blind). HOW COOL IS THAT?

Of course, home brewing takes months. It's not really something I can write about every day, because it's something that I'll only be actually doing every 2 weeks or so. So the rest of this blog will be devoted to all things beer. I'm going to learn about it, write about it, and--most importantly--drink a lot of it. So pop open a cold one, and enjoy.

0 comments: